Eastern Gaels GAC

Founded 2023

Co. Meath

Gaels have to settle for draw after last gasp goal

Download our mobile app to hear more about Eastern Gaels GAC.

See More
Eastern Gaels were denied a first win on the road in Moylagh last night when the home team scored a goal with the last action of the game to tie the scores at 1-05 to 0-08 points. It was a cruel blow for the visitors after a very entertaining hour of football.

We got off to a good start but our first three attacks yielded no score. Simon Corrigan raised the first white flag with a fine point from the right and was quickly followed by Aaron Browning from a similar position to open a two point lead after 10 minutes.

Moylagh looked sure to open their account but a brilliant block from Colin Harte stopped a certain point. Gaels next attack saw a quick free from Aaron to Josh Hayes who kicked a nice point. Moylagh were still threatening but a good interception by Fionn McLoughlin stopped a dangerous attack with 15 minutes played.

Another interception by Sean Collier shortly after resulted in a flowing move which ended with another point for Simon to leave us 4-0 up.  We were defending very well with Kevin O’Rourke dominant at full back and Isaac Barbara and Craig Magill dealing well with their dangerous wing forwards.

With 22 minutes played Daniel Hatch made a fine save with an outstretched leg to deny Moylagh a goal.  In the following attack a Gaels point was called back with the referee throwing the ball up.  Josh Hayes secured possession and made no mistake to make it 5 points to no score.

With three minutes of the half remaining the Moylagh centre back opened their account with a fine individual score.  Another point was added by the home side shortly after to leave a half-time score of Moylagh 0-02, Eastern Gaels 0-05.

We had a very slow start to the second half and Moylagh were quick to capitalise on it with their centre back scoring his second point.  As we continued to struggle to get back in the game in the third quarter the home side registered the next two scores to leave it at 5 points each midway through the half.  

Slowly we began to get back in the game with Aidan Mulligan and Kevin Keane showing well in midfield and Prince Khumalo and Morgan Reid winning ball in forward positions.  A nice move down the left saw their keeper make a fine save from Craig diverting a goal bound shot for a 45. 

We finally got the scoreboard moving again on 16 minutes when Aaron pointed a free following a foul on Josh.  Five minutes later Aaron converted another free after he was fouled to open up a two point gap, 7-5.

At the other end Daniel pushed a dangerous Moylagh effort on to the crossbar and with five minutes to go a flowing Gaels attack saw Aaron’s effort flash across the face of the goal.  With two minutes left Aaron added our final score with a number of other good scoring chances coming to nothing.

This was to prove costly when Moylagh attacked in injury time looking for an equalising goal.  A dangerous move was initially stopped by an excellent block by Josh and Daniel turned a follow up attempt around the post.  

The resulting 45 however, the last kick of the game, was flicked to the net by Moylagh’s 13 to tie the game. It was a cruel blow after a good performance, with much to build on but a few lessons to learn too.  On to the next one.

Moylagh 1-05, Eastern Gaels 0-08.

Eastern Gaels:
Daniel Hatch, Fionn McLoughlin, Kevin O’Rourke, Colin Harte, Isaac Barbara, Sean Collier, Craig Magill, Aidan Mulligan, Kevin Keane, Josh Hayes (0-02), Aaron Browning (0-04, 2f), Prince Khumalo, Morgan Reid, Simon Corrigan (0-2), Tomas Quinn.
Oran Long, Robbie Duggan.

Tuesday, 23 April 2024

Download ClubZap

Get live information for Club on the ClubZap App

App Store Google Play